ENSURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP – If you have an Off Site Backup Plan with DDS all you need to do is take your local external backup device with you prior to the storm, everyone else please read below.
Do not wait until the day before a hurricane to back up your files, you should be backing up daily to an External Drive and Off Site to prevent loss of data and frequently perform test restores to verify your backups are working, as well as to store the media it in a secure safe place.
If you are not sure if you have a Specific Managed Backup Plan with us please call or email me and do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or need to verify that your backup is working.
If you hold the physical installation media to non-standard software purchased, consider making a copy of it, if you are licensed to do so. YTP does not have copies of unique software & licenses not purchased through us.
SECURE YOUR EQUIPMENT
- Shutdown the computer
- If connected to a surge protector or UPS – unplug the surge protector or UPS from the wall outlet (or unplug power cables from the surge protector or UPS if wall outlet not accessible).
- If no surge protector – unplug the power cables from the wall outlet (or back of the computer if wall outlet is not accessible).
- Unplug Ethernet cable from back of computer or docking station.
- Power off the printer.
- If connected to a surge protector – unplug the surge protector from the wall outlet (or unplug power cable from the surge protector if wall outlet not accessible).
- If no surge protector – unplug the power cable from the wall outlet (or back of the printer if wall outlet is not accessible).
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the printer.
- Unplug phone cable from the back of the printer (if fax line connected).
If you are concerned about rising water or flooding raise equipment off the ground and cover with plastic to prevent other water or debris damage.
YTP will keep all mission critical management systems in service as long as possible. However, certain services might need to be shut down before the storm hits. This is necessary to ensure that equipment and services are safe from the effects of the storm. We will notify all Managed Service clients if we see any problems with their offices as soon as we are able.
Print a copy of your important/emergency contacts and take them with you in the event that you do not have access to them from your phone or computer, you’ll have them available to use via a landline.
AFTER THE STORM
Reverse the “Secure your Equipment “procedures.”
YTP will work quickly to verify all managed clients network connectivity and services are online. As you reconnect your office equipment make sure to reconnect them to your surge protector or UPS as they were before. You can contact us for assistance with setting up your PC and peripherals. Expect power surges, brownouts, and fluctuations for at least several days or longer after power has been restored. All the effort you went through in preparation may be lost if you take a hit after the storm.